[Gdal-dev] ogr2ogr Unable to open datasource

Ryan Ollerenshaw ollerery at engr.orst.edu
Tue Oct 31 14:14:10 EST 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Ryan Ollerenshaw wrote:
>> Thank you for the help but the documentation for using an OGR VRT
>> file does not seem to be clear.  I created a ovf file (see below) and
>> ran
>> # ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" thick18.shp thick18.cvs
>> but still no change only a dbf file is created.  I do not see in the
>> VRT documentation how to use the ovf file.
>>
>> Resources I have found:
>> http://gdal.maptools.org/ogr/drv_vrt.html
>> http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/vector_data/VirtualSpatialData
>>

> Ryan,
>
> You would use the .ovf file as the input file.
>
> eg.
> ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" thick18.shp thick18.ovf
>
> The OGR VRT driver will then open the referenced .csv file, and transform
> the features read from it to have a spatial component.
Still not quite there, when i try to use the ovf file as my input i get
the following error, i also tried to name my input file .vrt but still
the same error.

FAILURE:
Unable to open datasource `E:\Ryan\solid_earth\thick18.ovf' with the
following drivers.
  -> ESRI Shapefile
  -> UK .NTF
  -> SDTS
  -> TIGER
  -> S57
  -> MapInfo File
  -> DGN
  -> VRT
  -> AVCBin
  -> REC
  -> Memory
  -> CSV
  -> GML
  -> SQLite
  -> ODBC
  -> OGDI
  -> PostgreSQL
  -> FMEObjects Gateway

ovf file:
<OGRVRTDataSource>
        <OGRVRTLayer  name="thick18">
        <SrcDataSource>thick18</SrcDataSource>
        <SrcLayer>E:\Ryan\solid_earth</SrcLayer>
        <GeometryField encoding="PointFromColumns" x="long" y="lat"/>
        <GeometryType>wkbPoint</GeometryType>
        </OGRVRTLayer>
</OGRVRTDataSource>