[Gdal-dev] GDALDataset as a Base Class

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Fri Sep 1 12:38:48 EDT 2006

Matt Hanson kirjoitti:
> To clarify what I'm doing, I'm creating an Geospatial Image Processing library.   The underlying dataset resides on disk and is interfaced through GDAL, and is read and processed in chunks, and written out.   My goal is to make the file I/O and chunking process as transparent as possible to the developer.  I'm essentially applying the power and ease of use of the CImg library to Geospatial imagery.   My hope is to make is publicly available but as both libraries are LGPL it is ultimately up to my boss to make that decision.

How does what you try to accomplish differ from what can be done with OSSIM?

My first  impression, after looking briefly at CImg's website, is that
marrying GDAL and CImg elegantly won't be easy. It may be easy to use
GDAL to bring a piece of one band into CImg but not so easy to support
processing big images with CImg. I would assume taking chunks,
processing them, and putting them together again does not produce
correct results in all cases.

Ari

--
Prof. Ari Jolma
Kartografia ja Geoinformatiikka / Cartography and Geoinformatics