[Gdal-dev] Licensing issue with geodata embedded in gdal.

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Sep 5 13:43:08 EDT 2006

Francesco Paolo Lovergine wrote:
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-grass-devel/2006-August/001179.html
>
> It's questionable if this issue is a non-issue for Debian. We distribute
> gdal in main and this is indeed a use limitation for our users.
> Moving only data in non-free could be an option (I don't know how much
> complicated). But solving the question at upstream level would be more nice.

Francesco,

That url doesn't resolve for me. Note there are quite a few potential
freeness issues identified in GDAL as part of the review at:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/GDAL_Provenance_Review

It is my intention to address them all in the coming months as one
precondition of GDAL passing OSGeo incubation.  However, I do feel they
are all "low risk", so if it is possible to take no action for a little
while, there is hope that we might have the issues resolved in time for a
1.4.0 release.