[Gdal-dev] Re: Problem using OGR and join-functionality: column names gone when creating a new shapefile?

Neil Best nbest at speakeasy.net
Sat Sep 16 08:16:35 EDT 2006

Hi, Wolfgang.  I think if you look at my recent posts to the list you
will see that we are experiencing similar difficulties, you and I.  I
wanted to do the same thing, make a join permanent, the only difference
is that my source data is a .shp and a .dbf, rather than related tables
in an RDBMS.

Since I can't get it to work either I can't speak with much authority,
but I think I can point out something about your problem with field
names.  If you look at the section describing joins on the OGR SQL page
you will see a detailed discussion of how column names in the SQL
statement map to the output.  My guess is that OGR is trying to give you
fully qualified column names (e.g. "flurstck_test.ich_weiss_was_nicht")
and truncating them according to the .dbf conventions.  Try using some
aliases in your SQL.  If you post your query and a minimal description
of your columns to the list I can try to offer a suggestion.

What's interesting is that we are both running the same version under
Debian, albeit I am using Ubuntu.  I don't know if this is significant
or not, especially since I got the same results when I dropped back to
1.2.6, but there it is . . .

Neil