[Gdal-dev] ogr2ogr -f "MapInfo File" -- Does this even work at all?!?

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Mon Sep 18 12:05:06 EDT 2006

Daniel Morissette wrote:

> I didn't check the version of MITAB that is used in GDAL 1.3.2 (that's
> the version you're using, right?), but there was a bug at some point
> around MITAB 1.5.0 that resulted in invalid .MAP files being
> generated, this may well be what you ran into.

That's the problem. The data part works fine (when I remove the .map and
.id files, the data is viewable) A binary compare with a good .MAP file
and a bad one shows all kinds of differences. I got around it for now by
exporting shapefiles and converting them to TAB. This also gets around
the problem of the MITAB driver not being able to handle PostgreSQL date
fields.

> P.S. You didn't get any reply to your mutliple posts on this topic
> last week because we were all at FOSS4G2006 in Lausanne. You missed a
> very good week! ;)

I wondered where everybody was. I guess I just picked he wrong week to
get started with all this FOS GIS stuff and have lots of newbie questions!