[Gdal-dev] Visual Studio Project Files

Andrey Kiselev dron at ak4719.spb.edu
Wed Sep 20 06:03:25 EDT 2006

> > That all looks pretty complicated to maintain. Is there a way to
> > include in project files the list of file paths and include
> > parameters like it is done in the current makefiles? Otherwise it
> > gets too complicated even to add a single new file to the project.
> > If we will found a way to keep the file lists and configuration
> > parameters separate from the project files there will be no problem
> > to add them to GDAL. Without such separation there should be the one
> > who will regularly update project files.
>
> Which bit do you mean is complicated? The separate directory of Visual
> Studio files? Or the separate project files for each built component? Or
> maintaining configurations etc?

Well, I am generally found complicated to go to Windows box, start the
GUI and edit the project files (including new modules, changing build
options etc.) It is easy to forget to do that after the change in the
build tree. So I am prefer project files to be generated by the common
build tool, something like the SCons or CMake. I have expirience with
SCons and I do not think that it is a good choice. SCons needs a bunch
of manually written scripts, because it doesn't support some features I
like to use (namely cross-compiling and libtool facilities).

CMake looks more promising, though it doesn't support cross-compiling as
well. But at least it can replace the current VS-oriented build system.
It is not a big pain to introduce the third build environment and test
it under different circumstances.

Regards,
Andrey

--