[Gdal-dev] OCI-geometry recognition

Stephan Holl holl at gdf-hannover.de
Thu Sep 21 07:43:52 EDT 2006

Dear developers,

I am working with an Oracle db storing geographic data. When copying a
point-shapefile into Oracle using ogr2ogr everything is fine.

ogr2ogr -f "OCI" -nlt POINT -nln spearfish_bugsites
OCI:usr/pwd at oracle bugsites.shp

Querying the database with ogrinfo gives the following (strange) result
about the geometry:

ogrinfo -al -so OCI:usr/pwd at oracle spearfish_bugsites
INFO: Open of `OCI:usr/pwd at oracle'
using driver `OCI' successful.
Layer name: SPEARFISH_BUGSITES
Geometry: Unknown (any)
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Feature Count: 90
[...]

Why is this geometry-type unknown, even when I forced to create a POINT
layer?

Dumping the geometry says that points are there.

ogrinfo  OCI:usr/pwd at oracle spearfish_bugsites
using driver `OCI' successful.
Layer name: SPEARFISH_BUGSITES
Geometry: Unknown (any)
[...]
FID Column = OGR_FID
Geometry Column = ORA_GEOMETRY
cat: Integer (11.0)
str1: String (80.0)
OGRFeature(SPEARFISH_BUGSITES):1
  cat (Integer) = 1
  str1 (String) = Beetle site
  POINT (590232 4915039 0)
 ^^^^^^^^
[...]
OGRFeature(SPEARFISH_BUGSITES):90
  cat (Integer) = 2
  str1 (String) = Beetle site
  POINT (590430 4915204 0)

Is this an error on my side using ogr2ogr or some Oracle-oddities?

I found this problematic when I tryed to load a layer directly into
QGIS, which consequently answers
UNKNOWN WKBTYPE ENCOUNTERED.

What can I do?

Thanks in advance

	Stephan Holl

--
GDF Hannover - Solutions for spatial data analysis and remote sensing
Hannover Office      -     Mengendamm 16d      -     D-30177 Hannover
Internet: www.gdf-hannover.de      -      Email: holl at gdf-hannover.de
Phone : ++49-(0)511.39088507       -        Fax: ++49-(0)511.39088508