[Gdal-dev] Warping GOES products

Elan Feingold elan at bluemandrill.com
Wed Sep 27 15:35:50 EDT 2006

I'm trying to use gdalwarp to convert GOES products (see
http://www.weather.gov/noaaport/html/icdtb48e.html), specifically the
GOES East and GOES West products, to Plate Caree, and I'm not having
much luck.

This is the workflow I've been following:

1) Convert the product into a raw grayscale file with the ucsat utility.

2) Convert the raw grayscale file into a TIFF using Imagemagick

3) Add 4 GCPs using gdal_translate

4) Use gdalwarp like this: gdalwarp -s_srs "+proj=lcc +lat_ts=25.000N
+lon_0=95.000W" -t_srs "+proj=eqc" TIGE02_new.2.tif
TIGE02_new.2.proj.jpg

Unfortunately the resulting image, while definitely warped, doesn't
match up with our other Plate Caree maps.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

-elan