[Gdal-dev] RFC DRAFT: Unicode support in GDAL

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Sat Sep 30 14:59:38 EDT 2006

Andrey Kiselev wrote:
> On 9/21/06, Ben Discoe <ben at vterrain.org> wrote:
>> I am happy to do this work and submit it, i am just waiting to hear
>>  from you (or Frank, or..? Confused by GDAL's new democracy) that i
>>  should proceed.
>
> We have discussed the issue today on IRC and now I want to come up
> with the following proposal.
>
> Unicode support in GDAL.

Just to complement the discussion, here is a document about unicode
support for C++ language standard posted by Matt Austern.
It's a proposal for next release of C++ Language Standard, C++0x (sic).

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2006/n2035.pdf

Matt writes:

"This paper describes changes to the standard library that will be
needed if WG21 chooses to adopt N2018. It is a proposal for C++0x,
because it proposes changes in existing standard library
components."

This document gives concise explanation of Unicode and main aspects
Unicode support in programming language.
Thus, I believe it may be interesting for implementors of homemade
Unicode support and, also, to see what's the C++ language tendency in
this matter.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot