[Gdal-dev] collarclip

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Apr 5 13:26:46 EDT 2007

Craig Miller wrote:
> A while back, someone posted to the list that they had written a small
> utility to clip the collars off of their Soviet Topo maps.  I have a few
> spurious DRGs (compressed paletted GeoTiffs) that need their collars clipped
> and was wondering if this utility is available somewhere.
>
> Thanks,
> Craig
>
> Craig Miller
> www.spatialminds.com

Hi Craig.

That would be me. The utility was less than sucessful as an automated
clipping tool and the code had to be tuned to look for specific patterns
for a class of images. I did ok identifying some corners but rarely got
all corners identified correctly.

I have been to busy lately to revisit it. The approach that I finally
came up with was to create a database if the image files and wrote an
ajax web application that views the image (these were all gif) and
allows the user to select the corner points and writes them to the
database (I have like 16K images to clip eventually). then a wrote a
perl script that read the corner info from the DB and generated gdal
commands to clip and reproject the images.

As I said, I hope to get back to this, but have been too busy over the
last 3 month to even think about it.

-Steve