[Gdal-dev] create 256x256 tiles for google maps

Paul Van Deusen Paul_VanDeusen at uml.edu
Fri Apr 6 11:53:10 EDT 2007

Paul Van Deusen napisa³(a):

> > I am using imagemagick to crop a geotiff file into 256x256 gif files to
> > serve as tiles for google maps.
> > However, it starts to choke once the tiff file gets larger than  1/2
> > GB.   Can gdal_translate take
> > a tif file and split it into individual tile files of a specific size?
>

>Paul,
>
>AFAIK, GDAL won't help here out of the box.
>Users usually take gdal_translate.cpp program and customize it to do this
>job.
>Here you can find such utility called gdalsplit and posted to the list a
>longer while ago:
>
>http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2004-September/004135.html
>
>May be it will work for you.
>
>Cheers
 >-- >Mateusz Loskot >http://mateusz.loskot.net > Mateusz, THanks. This
is a good suggestion. I tried compiling it but got the following errors.
It would be a handy tool if it could be made to compile.
[pvandeus at localhost temp]$ gcc -o gdalsplit -L/usr/local/lib -lgdal
-I/usr/local/include -I/home/pvandeus/downloads/gdal-1.4.0/frmts -ltiff
gdalsplit.cpp -Wall gdalsplit.cpp: In function ‘CPLErr
CopyRasterBand(GDALDataset*, GDALDataset*, int, int, int, int, int)’:
gdalsplit.cpp:233: error: ‘class VRTRasterBand’ has no member named
‘AddSimpleSource’