[Gdal-dev] Where's the _gdal module?

Roger André randre at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 20:37:51 EDT 2007

I just finished compiling and installing gdal from source in Cygwin.  The
utilities like "gdal_translate" and "gdalinfo" seem to be working fne, but
I'm, having trouble with the Python API.  For example, when I try to run
"gdal_merge.py", I get the following error:

$ gdal_merge.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/gdal_merge.py", line 110, in <module>
    import gdal
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gdal.py", line 191, in <module>
    import _gdal
ImportError: No module named _gdal

When I trace this a bit further online, I see references to needing a "
gdal.so", but I don't know where it should be, or how to get it.

Can someone advise me?

Thanks.