[Gdal-dev] HDF MODIS conversion to GeoTiff WGS-84 referenced format

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Fri Apr 13 10:20:41 EDT 2007

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 02:08:48PM +0200, mattia wrote:
>    Hey all, I really have great confusion on how to convert my HDF 4 images
>    which reside as multiple bands into a single HDF file to a GeoTiff
>    geo-referenced image. In reality, I need to convert the format into a
>    single latitude/longitude WGS-84 referenced TIFF image..I need to do this
>    and at the same time obtain a .tfw file which specifies the top left
>    corner coordinates of the image's bounding box and the pixel resolution of
>    the image.

You may want to take a look at this thread:
 http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2007-February/011744.html

Probably it also works for this MODIS data set.

>    I've been told that the images are MODIS images from Terra and Aqua satellites.
>    I also read that MODIS is used for snow detection only.. is this correct??

No. MODIS is used for many applications, not only snow.
I have some older pages at
 http://mpa.itc.it/rs/
illustrating
    * Surface Reflectance Daily
    * Snow coverage
    * NDVI / EVI Vegetation index
    * Land Surface Temperature (LST, incl. multitemporal analysis example)
    * Atmosphere Daily Global Product

which is a fraction of the available products:
http://edcdaac.usgs.gov/modis/dataproducts.asp
(there is more)

>    Hence my question is, how do I tell the command to pick up a certain
>    dataset?? And, where can I find the relative documentation for this
>    command when applied to multiple HDF bands??

See above script and/or
http://www.gdal.org/frmt_hdf4.html

>    Finally, I reside in Germany and need to transform a whole lot of images
>    into GeoTiff to later establish a WMS service .. Hence all conversion will
>    need be done remotely... Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should
>    go on about this?? Should I be using the gdal library or would I best bet
>    on something else???

GDAL is just fine for this. Maybe plus some scripting.

Markus