[Gdal-dev] Re: Proposal for Unified Windows Binaries

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Apr 16 11:49:47 EDT 2007

Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam <at> pobox.com> writes:

> Tamas Szekeres wrote:
> > But I would completely disagree if we would want to take out the
> > binaries of the scripting interfaces and let the user to create this
> > code by hand or obtain the corresponding bundle from a different
> > location. Instead, I would extend the pactice for adding these
> > binaries for all of the bindings in a more unique way. For example
> > adding some common makefile targets to create the code for this
> > purpose, and allow the interface maintainers to decide which files
> > should be included in the package and to which location.
>
> Tamas,
>
> I don't think Howard was proposing any changes to the makefiles.
> But rather that the "core component" we would build on would be
> the GDAL/OGR C++ core, the C API, plus all the drivers that have
> odd requirements built as plugins so they are optional.  Stuff that
> depends on external DLLs, has runtime requirements, etc.

Just a brief comment: the native Windows GRASS build is MSYS/MinGW, as is
rgdal, the R/GDAL interface package. The latter is using MSYS/MinGW builds of
proj4 and GDAL to internalise external dependencies, so that the R archive
network can distribute a complete package built automatically. Users with the
skill needed have used FWTools DLLs, but always meet the issue that VC*
compiled DLLs reset the FP precision to 64 bit from 80 bit on i386; MinGW has
been house-trained and doesn't do that. The WinGRASS people (very few) may not
have the capacity to try to switch to VC* build trains.

Best wishes,

Roger