[Gdal-dev] Proposal for Unified Windows Binaries

Simon Perkins sy at perkins.net
Tue Apr 17 19:58:04 EDT 2007

Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> It's possible to embed manifest inside a binary in RS_MANIFEST resource
> block or provide it as a separate file.
> Since 2005, *all* binaries have to have manifest included (embedded or
> as external file).

Note that in my experience, there are situations where you MUST embed
the manifest into a DLL or things won't work. It's not enough to include
the manifest as a separate file in the same directory.

> Here is long story about it:
> http://www.grimes.demon.co.uk/workshops/fusWSThirteen.htm

A good discussion! It seems to suggest that manifest embedding is
required for private DLLs, but not necessarily shared DLLs. I imagine
that most distributors of windows apps using GDAL will be using private
assemblies - there's much less tendency to share 3rd party "shared
libraries" on windows than on linux.

Cheers,

Sy