[Gdal-dev] [motion] Migration of web pages to the Wiki

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu Apr 19 12:58:39 EDT 2007

Matt Wilkie wrote:
> Hi Mateusz,
>
> I worked a little bit on adding some stuff to the wiki, but quickly
> got to the point of not knowing where to put stuff, or what was going
>  to stay in svn/doxygen/whatever and shouldn't be duplicated in the
> wiki.

Matt,

Yes, I understand your confusion. My goal is to clean things a little,
so we will have user-friendly and well-structured knowledge base with
parts to which users can also contribute.

> Another issue I ran into was devising a scheme to easily discriminate
>  between end user and developer docs. I floated an idea for this at
> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/TracDiscuss but have no responses so
> far. I don't know whether this is because no one has noticed the page
> or if they just don't have an opinion. ;)

Yes, I think it's possible.
I've not noticed it myself too :-)

I like the idea about separate corners for Users and Developers
regarding documentation.

>> Could we list pages that are good candidates to migrate to the
>> Wiki?
>
> As a general principle I suggest focussing on user docs as developers
>  already have access to svn, so can change things (like the man-style
>  quick references pages for the utilities) there.

I agree.

>> Also, I'd like to migrate our FAQ to the Wiki, so it will be easier
>>  to maintain it, encourage for contributions and monitor them. Is
>> there any objection or I can move on with FAQ as the first item to
>> migrate?
>
> No objection from me, the FAQ is a perfect candidate.

Here it is:
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/FAQ

There is only a TOC proposal so far, please feel free to extend it.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net