[Gdal-dev] [motion] Migration of web pages to the Wiki

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Apr 19 14:08:27 EDT 2007

Matt Wilkie wrote:
> Another issue I ran into was devising a scheme to easily discriminate
> between end user and developer docs. I floated an idea for this at
> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/TracDiscuss but have no responses so
> far. I don't know whether this is because no one has noticed the page or
>  if they just don't have an opinion. ;)

Matt,

To be honest, I read this over and wasn't too keen on the approach.  It
can be quite difficult to enforce rules such as those you suggest for
new wiki contributors so I'm inclined to avoid making rules that are
likely to fall apart.  I am also not convinced that orderly organization
in the index is that important an objective.

I didn't respond with my initial impressions because I hate to *always*
be the wet blanket dumping on new ideas.  I thought I'd give others
a chance to comment, or you a chance to test it out in practice.

>> Could we list pages that are good candidates to migrate to the Wiki?
>
> As a general principle I suggest focussing on user docs as developers
> already have access to svn, so can change things (like the man-style
> quick references pages for the utilities) there.

I'd suggest users focus on user pages, as long as you don't mind
developers focusing on developer stuff!

I don't have final answers on what belongs in the wiki and what in
doxygen.  But some criteria might be:

Best in wiki if:
  o contributions are likely to come from casual participants without
    commit access.
  o opinion related material, suggested approaches, etc

Best in doxygen if:
  o it is API reference documentation generated from the code.
  o it needs to be installed with software (like man pages)
  o it makes extensive use of the doxygen cross-referencing capability
    to the reference docs, like some of the developer tutorials.