[Gdal-dev] Error building gdal/ogr: undefined reference to `_gfortran_ ...

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Apr 23 08:05:11 EDT 2007

Hernán De Angelis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to build gdal/ogr. I did many times before without
> problems but this time I continuously get this error:
>
> g++ ogrinfo.o -o .libs/ogrinfo  /usr/local/src/gdal/.libs/libgdal.so
> -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib/lib -ljpeg -lgeotiff
> -L/usr/local -L/usr/local/pgsql/lib -lpq -lz -lrt -ldl -lpthread
>
> /usr/local/src/gdal/.libs/libgdal.so: undefined reference to
> `_gfortran_shape_4'
> /usr/local/src/gdal/.libs/libgdal.so: undefined reference to
> `_gfortran_internal_malloc'
> /usr/local/src/gdal/.libs/libgdal.so: undefined reference to
> `_gfortran_size0'
> /usr/local/src/gdal/.libs/libgdal.so: undefined reference to
> `_gfortran_reshape_4'
> /usr/local/src/gdal/.libs/libgdal.so: undefined reference to
> `_gfortran_internal_unpack'
> /usr/local/src/gdal/.libs/libgdal.so: undefined reference to
> `_gfortran_internal_pack'
> /usr/local/src/gdal/.libs/libgdal.so: undefined reference to
> `_gfortran_string_trim'
> /usr/local/src/gdal/.libs/libgdal.so: undefined reference to
> `_gfortran_string_len_trim'
> /usr/local/src/gdal/.libs/libgdal.so: undefined reference to
> `_gfortran_copy_string'
> /usr/local/src/gdal/.libs/libgdal.so: undefined reference to
> `_gfortran_internal_free'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[1]: *** [ogrinfo] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/gdal/ogr'
> make: *** [ogr-apps] Error 2
>
> This happens almost at the end of the make process, when building ogr.
> I am using openSUSE 10.2, gfortran-4.1 and gcc-4.1. The error is the
> same in both gdal-1.4.1 and svn checkout, so it is likely an issue in
> my machine. I have no clue about the reason, so any hint will be
> appreciated.

I tested GDAL SVN building it with libtool support and it works for me.
Also, as you can see the buildbot slave called epimetheus builds with
libtool support too:

http://buildbot.osgeo.org:8500/epimetheus-full/builds/187

I'm not sure what is the fortran used for in your case.

Could you include full command of ./configure you use
and output of the configure summary?

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot