[Gdal-dev] Re: GDAL SOC

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri Apr 27 14:46:12 EDT 2007

Adam Nowacki wrote:
> Hi, just checking if you're alive.

Hi Adam,

Yes, I'm alive and well. BTW, congrats for getting your project
approved, the WMS driver should be a nice addition to GDAL.

I guess I'm still a bit unclear on the process for the SoC work, that's
why I have been quiet so far. I was checking the schedule the other day
and saw that SoC work starts officially on May 28th and in the meantime
you should start to familiarize with the GDAL project and its community.

I believe you're already familiar with the GDAL project, so I don't need
to introduce you to the mailing list and IRC channel (I think you are on
#gdal more than I am) and other project resources.

FYI I implemented WMS (client and server) support in MapServer and have
been maintaining/upgrading that component for the last 5-6 years. In the
next 1-2 months I am also planning to upgrade MapServer to WMS 1.3.0 (it
currently supports 1.1.1 and older), so I am quite familiar with the WMS
spec and its issues, hopefully that will help.

However, I am less familiar with the way similar drivers (WCS, etc.)
have been implemented in GDAL, but I think you have already looked at
that, and I'm sure others on the gdal-dev list will be able to provide
advice and feedback on that front.

BTW, talking of the gdal-dev list, and in the spirit of open source
development, I took the liberty of CC'ing the gdal-dev list on this
email to give everyone a heads up on what's coming. I think most of our
technical discussions during your project should happen in the open on
this list.

While we're here, a question for the GDAL PSC members: is a RFC required
for a new driver? I believe the answer is yes, and if that's the case
then the first task of your project will be to prepare the RFC and get
it reviewed/approved before the fun part (i.e. coding) can start.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/