[Gdal-dev] what is "band configurations"?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Apr 29 12:43:16 EDT 2007

Maciej Sieczka wrote:
>> It states "Only Byte band types are supported, and only 1 and 3 band
>> configurations." in the Creation Options discussion.  This means you can
>> only create files with one band (treated as greyscale) and three bands
>> (treated as RGB).  Does that answer your question?
>
> Yes. Thanks. Could this extended info be added to JPEG spec as well as
> to JPEG section in GeoTIFF spec?

Maciek,

As long as you use PLANARCONFIG_SEPERATE (ie. INTERLEAVE=BAND) with the
GeoTIFF driver you can actually use jpeg compression with multi-spectral
data.  So I don't think this limitation applies to the geotiff driver.

I feel that the "and only 1 and 3 band configurations" is fairly clear
in the frmt_jpeg.html document especially in combination with the earlier
mention of only supporting greyscale and rgb.  Writing decent documentation
is a balance between adding enough detail, and avoiding obscuring things
with too much detail.  It is always hard to know where the right balance
is.