[Gdal-dev] Supported Compiler

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Apr 29 13:09:37 EDT 2007

Tamas Szekeres wrote:
> In my opinion if we declare a compiler as 'supported' we should at
> least make regular tests  with it. It's not enough that someone has
> managed to compile the code on that compiler/platform at a given time.
> What happens if a subsequent change works pretty well on some platform
> but breaks the compilation on another (we can find some examples for
> this kind of issue in the recent days). It's fairly unconvenient to
> wait for a bug report from someone who uses that compiler/platform and
> trying to find which changes caused the problem. I can eventually say
> that the supported compilers should be part of the gdal buildbot
> configuration.

Tamas,

I agree that if declare something supported we need to at least be
testing it before releases, and including any details in the wiki
needed to work with it. I don't feel we need to include buildbot
configurations for them all.

> We should make further declarations about which components are
> supported on which compilers/platforms because some components might
> not compile on the same environment where the core gdal builds. For
> example, apparently, not all of the SWIG bindings maintainers might be
> aware of all of the compilers/platforms declared as supported now, he
> might not have the proper environment to test them all.

Good point.  I agree we should be specific about what components
are supported with what compilers as best as we are able.

> We should also identify the substantial compiler configurations that
> will require significantly different approach when making the
> builds/tests. In my opinion the difference between the Win32/Win64
> builds are a good candidate to make this separation. The document
> describing the Win64 with VC8 would be somewhat different as the
> description of the Win32 with VC8.

Yes, Win32/Win64 are meaningfully distinct configurations, and worth
documenting seperately.  In fact, I don't consider Win64 builds
"supported" yet by GDAL though I don't imagine it will take too much
work to make it so once there is sufficient interest.