[Gdal-dev] RGB and Band...

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Aug 6 21:52:36 EDT 2007

Mario Cavicchi wrote:
> Hi list,
> I have a little problem with imagery.tif in the dimap archive.
> I must to split multi-layer tiff (imagery.tif) into four files,
> but the sequence of bands it's not same that i see with ENVI.
> The sequence is this:
>
>   GDAL(band)	ENVI(band)
> - 0		2
> - 1		1
> - 2		0
> - 3		3
>
> So, the RGB sequence is upside down, but why?
>
> I hope that you understand my problem because i know that my english is
> horrible.

Mario,

I have reviewed a four band DIMAP sample data product, and GDAL maps
the band order the same as they appear in the TIFF file, and this seems
to be supported by my reading of the DIMAP metadata file.

I'm not sure why ENVI is remapping the band order.  Perhaps it is offering
them in what it hopes is more like a true color arrangement?  Do you have
some reason other than the behavior of ENVI that you think the band order
should be different?

It might be helpful if you could make the dataset, or even just the
METADATA.DIM file, available.