[Gdal-dev] Error when converting a csv to shp using ogr2ogr

Nick Black nickblack1 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 15:50:54 EDT 2007

Hello,

I am trying to convert a CSV file to a shape file using ogr2ogr.  The
csv is here:

http://www.blacksworld.net/ogr2ogr/london_tubes.csv

The vrt is here:

http://www.blacksworld.net/ogr2ogr/london_tubes.vrt

The shapefile produced is here:

http://www.blacksworld.net/ogr2ogr/london_tubes.shp

I am doing this:

$ /usr/local/bin/ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" london_tubes london_tubes.csv
$ /usr/local/bin/ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" london_tubes london_tubes.vrt

ERROR 4: Unable to open london_tubes/london_tubes.shp or
london_tubes/london_tubes.SHP.
ERROR 4: Unable to open london_tubes/london_tubes.shp or
london_tubes/london_tubes.SHP.
fread(241) failed on DBF file.
fread(241) failed on DBF file.

If i run ogrinfo on the shapefile that is produced, I can see that
there are 15 successful records, and then all of the remaining records
seem to be null.  If I delete a chunk of the CSV - the first 50 lines
for example, I get the same outcome - only the first 15 records are
successfully converted:

Here is the output of ogrinfo:

http://www.blacksworld.net/ogr2ogr/ogrinfo_out.txt

I am not sure where to go from here, any help would be much
appreciated.  I am using gdal 1.4.1 on OSX.

Cheers,

--
Nick Black