[Gdal-dev] Will increasing the RAM on a server increase the speed of gdalwarp?

John Mitchell mitchelljj98 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 12:21:49 EDT 2007

Frank,

Thanks for the recommendation of adding --config GDAL_CACHEMAX 500 -wm 500
to the gdalwarp command.

With --config GDAL_CACHEMAX 500 -wm 500 added to gdalwarp the speed of
mosaicing 6 tiles creating a mosaic of 3 gb on a server with 4 gb of RAM
increased the gdalwarp speed by 25%.

I then tried --config GDAL_CACHEMAX 625 -wm 625 instead of --config
GDAL_CACHEMAX 500 -wm 500 and I got the following error:
Out of memory allocatint 400042260 byte destination buffer

If the RAM was increased beyond 4 GB then I would be able to increase to
GDAL_CACHEMAX 625 -wm 625 and beyond, but you don't believe that above 500
will have any effect on gdalwarp performance.  Correct?

Thanks,

John Mitchell

--
John J. Mitchell