[Gdal-dev] T-Shirts

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Thu Aug 30 16:17:00 EDT 2007

Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov wrote:
>> Do we want to imply that GDAL is endangered? Maybe an invasive species
>> would be more apropos, like zebra mussel or something.
>       Generally,invasive species are generally things people don't want.
> And invasives are only invasives outside of their native habitat.

I've not found a long list yet, but I think Pioneer Species is apropos:

"A pioneer species ... colonizes previously uncolonized land, usually
leading to ecological succession. Since uncolonised land usually has
thin, poor quality soils with few nutrients, pioneer species are
typically very hardy ..." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_species

Sounds a lot like gdal to me!

  Most of the names on that page don't roll off the tongue so well
though. Although "Flexuosa" has a certain Hogwarts ring to it that could
be entertaining: "GDAL 1.5, Factotum Flexuosa!" -- a spell which turns
brackish marine(ated) data into green hollow tubes (data processing
chains) summoning lackeys ready to work for you.

Resources used for this fun bit of absurdity:

[1] http://www.sms.si.edu/irlspec/Entero_flexuo.htm
[2] http://phrontistery.info/f.html - list of unusual words beginning
with F (or G or...)

--