[Gdal-dev] GDAL 1.5 release

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Aug 31 13:04:24 EDT 2007

Howard Butler wrote:
> All,
>
> When are we thinking our 1.5 release would happen?  I don't recall
> exactly, but I thought we might have been thinking of cutting a beta
> right before FOSS4G, but I'm concerned there will still be features,
> refactoring (I wish :), and significant bug work flowing in after that
> time.  What's the feeling on this?

Howard,

It is my intention to hold a first 1.5 beta shortly before FOSS4G,
and then - with luck - a beta at the end of our bug squash day
and perhaps a release candidate after that depending on how things
go.  I'm partly suggesting this timeline so that it lines up well
with the bug squash and partly so I can wedge in various work I
need to get done for 1.5 release for clients.

> Also, is there a chance we would look at following a modified
> MapServer's Release Manager model with this release?
> <http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-34>

To be honest I'd be inclined to streamline things a bit from that, but
I would like to see a more formalized release model.   I especially like
the "MapServer Release Process" section explaining the different phases
like general development, rfc freeze, feature freeze and stable releases.

Would you like to propose a version of that for GDAL/OGR?