[gdal-dev] Contour generation method in bindings

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 18:11:02 EST 2007

Ari, (and the other swiggers)

I appreciate to add every new functionality in the SWIG bindings.
However this change seems to be perl specific, and I don't know how is
it planned to migrate the functionality to the common ground.

My other problem is that the layout of the codebase will be fairly
chaotic in a little while. I personally don't favour blindly including
many of the code between the interface files and manually excluding
the name collisions. What if we will have to use GDALDriver an
OGRDriver simultaneously in a function in the future?

I would be in favour of refactoring the code using the following common rules:

1. Every target class would go into a separate interface file
2. Every interface file would be responsible to include the interface
files that it depends on.
3. To avoid the name collisions we should either use namespaces (not
sure how it is supported by the various target languages) or prefixes
in the classnames
4. We should declare the constants in separate interface files that
can be included by the others if needed.

I agree that this concept would require  to change many of the files
and would possibly bring in some backward incompatibility and would
require some further investigations regarding to the feasibility and
at least an RFC would be required and some support from the swiggers
to tolerate and eliminate the breaking changes in the languages if
any.

Best regards,

Tamas