[gdal-dev] Scripting OGR and KML

Brian Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Sun Dec 9 16:01:41 EST 2007

I am new to scripting OGR, and for better or worse, I have chosen to
work with the Perl interfaces for now. I am writing a few test scripts
as part of the 1.5 testing phase.

You may be interested to know that the KML driver can be opened as a
Datasource, so writing to it effectively writes directly to KML from a
script.  KML is interesting because a) it is becoming widely accepted
in the various geobrowsers, and b) it simplifies the projection model
to a single case. It is essentially a simple display format.

So the Question is this:

  In OGR terms I see the Layer, Features and Geometry.. A Feature has a
FeatureDefinition.

  In KML terms, a Layer is a Folder, and Features are the Placemarks. I
can see by conversion testing that a Layer/Folder can have a name , and
Feature/Placemark can have a Name and a Description. The description
can be quite long.

   But using the class interfaces in a script, I dont see how to set
these things.  ???

   It looks like the name in a Feature Definition could be the name of a
Placemark. But that leaves Layer - Name, and Feature - Description ??

   pointers/insights appreciated
     -Brian