[Fwd: Re: [Gdal-dev] The perfect raster format - which is it?]

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Tue Dec 11 12:18:54 EST 2007

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Gdal-dev] The perfect raster format - which is it?
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 12:19:09 -0800
From: Matt Wilkie <matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca>
To: Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com>
CC: gdal-dev at lists.maptools.org

Hi Tim,

> Tiff is our second choice but the compression seems to require some
> kind of plugin in ArcMap so thats a bit of a bind...and the 4GB file
> size limit is sometimes hit due to inability to use compression  :-(

If you are using tiff with LZW compression, then the ESRI users prior to
ArcGIS v9.2 need the the LZW plugin, which used to cost money but is now
free (http://tinyurl.com/6l2q4 - HowTo: Use TIFF/LZW or GIF image files
in ESRI products now that the UNISYS patent for LZW has expired)

Packbits compession should work with all versions, though Arcview3 users
may need to enable one of the image reader extensions (installed by
default but not enabled, it's called "TIFF 6.0 Image Support").

cheers,

--
matt wilkie
Geographic Information,