[gdal-dev] gdal_translate: a preliminary `-gcp_file' patch

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Dec 13 11:28:12 EST 2007

Ivan Shmakov wrote:
> 	Since the current version of GDAL doesn't support reading GCPs
> 	from some of the data sets I use [1], I have to use
> 	`gdal_translate' to specify all the GCPs, like:

Ivan,

The --optfile was already mentioned.  I just wanted to add that there are
dangers to trying to attach large numbers of GCPs to a GeoTIFF image.  Some
sort of problem with the maximum tag size I believe.  So translating full
density geolocation arrays to GCPs is likely to cause a variety of problems.
One approach is to subsample them.  Another is to treat them as geolocation
arrays in the sense described in:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc4_geolocate