[gdal-dev] 24bit RGB colors raster (PNG or JPEG) to 256 colormap TIF conversion

marcello ferrero marcello_ferrero at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 27 05:23:54 EST 2007

I would like to know what GDAL "C" API function I have to use to convert 24bit RGB colors PNG/JPG images to
256 colormap (8 bits) TIF files. I understood this is possible with MapServer using IMAGEMODE=PC256 (converted using the color cube), but I need to do this from my "C" program (a Win32 viewer ) that is already using the gdal lib.

Thanks
Marcello Ferrero
marcello_ferrero at yahoo.com