[Gdal-dev] ogr2ogr export from postgis to esri incorrectly exports attributes

Dan Moore mooreds at mooreds.com
Wed Feb 14 12:08:12 EST 2007

Hi Ethan,

Thanks for the pointer to that doc.

Since the ESRI driver only supports "Only Integer, Real and String field
types," does that mean that date types are not supported?  If so, should
I just map those date types to strings with a view?  I see some of the
date data (for example, contractdate) in the shapefile output.

I also verified that all of the data is contained in the field (ie,
there are no addresses longer than 100 characters).

The document says "Attribute names can only be up to 12 characters long.
Longer names will be silently truncated. This may result in non-unique
column names, which will definitely cause problems later."

However, I'm seeing attribute names truncated at 10 characters.  I did
have some columns that were not unique in the first 10 characters, so I
renamed them, but I still see shifted and missing data.

I've attached a zip file containing a shapefile with the erroneous
output I'm seeing.

The issue begins right after garagedesc.  Since ogr2ogr exports the
fields in alphabetic order, I looked at both garagedesc and heatsystem
in light of the document Ethan mentioned.  I couldn't see anything
incorrect.

Here's the table I'm trying to export as an esri file.

db=> \d real_estate_data
              Table "public.real_estate_data"
        Column       |          Type           | Modifiers
--------------------+-------------------------+-----------
  dataset_id         | integer                 | not null
  latitude           | real                    | not null
  longitude          | real                    | not null
  precision          | character varying(100)  |
  address            | character varying(100)  |
  city               | character varying(100)  |
  state              | character varying(2)    |
  zip                | character varying(10)   |
  subdivision        | character varying(200)  |
  mlsnumber          | character varying(20)   |
  liststatus         | character varying(20)   |
  baths              | character varying(4)    |
  bedrooms           | character varying(4)    |
  sqfttotal          | integer                 |
  level              | character varying(100)  |
  privatepool        | character varying(1)    |
  remarks            | character varying(2000) |
  garagedesc         | character varying(500)  |
  lotsize            | character varying(100)  |
  coolsystem         | character varying(200)  |
  heatsystem         | character varying(200)  |
  construction       | character varying(200)  |
  yearbuilt          | integer                 |
  elemschdist        | integer                 |
  highschdist        | integer                 |
  schoolelem         | character varying(100)  |
  schoolhigh         | character varying(100)  |
  schooljunior       | character varying(100)  |
  listdate           | date                    |
  contractdate       | date                    |
  closeddate         | date                    |
  offmarketdate      | date                    |
  daysonmarket       | integer                 |
  listpriceorig      | integer                 |
  listprice          | integer                 | not null
  salesprice         | integer                 |
  percentoflistprice | real                    |
  the_geom           | geometry                |

Thanks,
Dan