[Gdal-dev] Java bindings and wkb support, a patch for gdal

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Feb 15 05:24:51 EST 2007

Andrea Aime wrote:
> Sure. I would just feel a little more comfortable if someone could
> have a look at the patches at the beginning, since I've absolutely
> no experience with SWIG. Making a patch that works for me doesn't make
> it right :-)

Andrea,

Quite understandable.

>> In the meantime, going through Tamas would
>> be great, or if there is no hurry just file a bug and we will have
>> Mateusz
>> address it when he comes on stream as general maintainer.
>
> I'll keep on creating patches as I need them, learning new technology is
> entertaining :-)
> When and if you feel comfortable givin me commit access, I'll accept it
> gladly. Btw, how does it work vs managing changes?
> For example, this patch changes the exportToWkb interface compared to
> other languages (not much of an issue on the java side, since it wasn't
> working before).

I didn't look closely at the patch, but changing the general interface
in a way that affects other languages is almost certain to not be ok.

> Next step for me will be to try and add a method to retrive a full
> Feature attribute set in a single call, to reduce the JNI overhead
> (rumor says a JNI call is 10 times more expensive than a regular java
> method call). This will be a new method in the Swig java binding.

How would you pack a feature so that the cost of packing and reparsing
aren't heavier than the cost of many JNI calls?

> Are these kind of modifications ok? How many people are using the
> java bindings, and how to relate with them?

The java bindings are not widely used, but I think parts of them are in
use so breaking interfaces that work now may not be acceptable.  I suspect
the GDAL side is in wider use than the OGR side.