[Gdal-dev] ogr2ogr on solaris 10: too large a file?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Feb 15 20:17:52 EST 2007

Peter.Rushforth at statcan.ca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a approx. 3Gb GML file I'm trying to translate to shp and tab
> format with ogr2ogr.  Is this too big for the 32-bit ogr2ogr
> to handle?  Is enabling large files a matter of re-compilation
> with certain switches enabled?

Peter,

It does seem likely that the 32bit (<2GB) file API is being used and
is responsible for this problem.  However, the GML reader uses Xerces
so the issue (I think) would be what API Xerces uses since we just pass
it the filename from OGR.

I haven't tried such a large file, and I don't know what would be involved
in getting it working.