[Gdal-dev] gdal_merge vs. gdalwarp

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat Feb 24 15:06:52 EST 2007

John Mitchell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have found in comparing the speed between gdal_merge and gdalwarp that
> gdal_merge mosaics tiles together more than twice as fast.  If all I
> need to do is mosaic tiles together that are the same resolution and
> keeping the same projection, then what advantage is using gdalwarp?
> Also I noticed what I think is a new utility on the gdal utilities page
> called " nearblack <http://www.gdal.org/nearblack.html> - Convert nearly
> black/white borders to exact value."

John,

If gdal_merge.py does what you need then use it.  Gdalwarp is not sensitive
to limited memory the way gdal_merge is, and includes a variety of extra
options like different resampling kernels.  It is really a general purpose
image warper whereas gdal_merge.py is just blatting together whole images into
a mosaic.