[Gdal-dev] Format limitations in 64-bit architecture

Simon Perkins sy at perkins.net
Wed Feb 28 14:21:09 EST 2007

Ozy Sjahputera wrote:
> From the list of file formats currently supported by GDAL, GeoTIFF is
> listed to have a 4 GB size limit.  Is this limitation due to the
> assumed 32-bit machine?  Or, will the size limit be bigger if we use a
> 64-bit machine and OS?

AFAIK, that's a fundamental limitation of the GeoTIFF file format. Does
anyone know if there are any plans to fix this in the future?

> What about other formats such as NITF and MEM?  Because the data type
> size_t in a 32-bit system is defined as a 4-byte type, whereas in a
> 64-bit system it is defined as an 8-byte.   Does this mean the MEM
> format is not limited to 2 GB anymore once we  work in the 64-bit system?

That would seem like a reasonable assumption though I don't know for
sure. I would think that NITF should be able to handle larger than 4GB
files even on 32-bit OSes, on any modern filesystem.

Cheers,

Sy