[Gdal-dev] Gdalwarp color corruption

Andrey Kiselev dron at ak4719.spb.edu
Sun Jan 7 10:53:34 EST 2007

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 11:47:12AM -0500, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> >Does cubic spline resampling give the best quality?  I know that it
> >is the slowest.
>
> Quality is in the eye of the beholder.  Generally speaking cubic
> convolution will produce the most attractive results.  Note that there
> are two cubic convolution kernels (-rc and -rcs).  The -rc is what I
> consider the "traditional" implementation meaning it is what I used at
> PCI.  -rcs is a variation Andrey Kiselev implemented, and which he
> considers better for at least some purposes.  You should try both (and
> -rb) and see which you prefer.

Spline interpolation (-rcs) is good for upsampling, especially for
significant enlargements (e.g., when you prepare image for printing). If
the output pixel size is the same as the input one, cubic convolution
may be a better choice (but that depends on your preferences, of
course).

Best regards,
Andrey

--