[Gdal-dev] Error reading jp2: 'terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'

Patton, Eric epatton at nrcan.gc.ca
Fri Jan 19 11:15:26 EST 2007

Hi,

I've just installed gdal-1.4.0. I gettgin errors trying to read and translate jp2 files. I have compiled the ER Mapper ECW SDK, and JPEG2000 support shows  up in my configure output:

<snip>
JASPER support:            yes (GeoJP2=no)
ECW support:               yes
<snip>

gdalinfo --formats confirms that the support is enabled:

<snip>
JPEG (rw): JPEG JFIF
JPEG2000 (rw): JPEG-2000 part 1 (ISO/IEC 15444-1)
ECW (rw): ERMapper Compressed Wavelets
JP2ECW (rw+): ERMapper JPEG2000
<snip>

No errors occurred during make or make install. I'm trying to open a 291MB jp2 file that represents 1m LIDAR dataset. Here's the output when I try to read it with gdalinfo/translate:

$ gdalinfo csr.jp2
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
  what():  St9bad_alloc
Aborted

Any ideas on where to proceed from here? I've explored every other avenue for opening these files short of logging into Windows; even Imagemagick choked on these files.

Thanks,

~ Eric.