[Gdal-dev] ECW on Debain Etch AMD64 solution

Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov
Thu Jan 25 10:14:31 EST 2007

Frank,

      I had earlier success on a 32 bit etch machine, before the merge of
the gcc 4.1 compiler.  This was a fresh install last week on a Intel Core
Duo 2 box.

      Originally, I had installed the FWtools-1.1.3 32 bit binary package
on the Debian etch box and it did a great job converting several Gigabytes
of SID files to Imagine format.

      However, when I went to chop out quarter quad sized tiffs from the
imagine files and convert them to ecw format, I would get the following
message:
Input file size is 6427, 7587
0...10...20...30...40...50...60...70...80...90...libgcc_s.so.1 must be
installed for pthread_cancel to work

      It did generate ecw files, which had the interesting side effect of
crashing ArcGIS 9.1 when trying to view the files.  I did try fiddling with
the LD_LIBRARY_PATH a bit, but I figured that I was planning on compiling
gdal natively anyway :-).  So I went ahead and started the process of
compiling gdal and ecw from source, using the 3.3-RC2(?) ecw SDK source.

This is where I ran into the make problems with the ecw SDK ( Please pardon
the error text mangling, somehow the text got mangled transferring between
platforms)

/home/dnewcomb/gissoft/libecwj2-3.3/Source/include/NCSJPCBuffer.h:178:
error: extra qualification $(B!F(BCNCSJPCBuffer::$(B!G(B on member $(B!F
(BCNCSJPCBuffer$(B!G(B
/home/dnewcomb/gissoft/libecwj2-3.3/Source/include/NCSJPCBuffer.h:191:
error: extra qualification $(B!F(BCNCSJPCBuffer::$(B!G(B on member $(B!F
(Boperator=$(B!G(B

Since this seemed to be the same problem described in
http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2006-October/010244.html , (
Many thanks! ) I followed Mr. Johnson's guidance to alter the ecw SDK
source in the following ways:

to change Line 178 in NCSJPCBuffer.h to:
      CNCSJPCBuffer( const class CNCSJPCBuffer& src );
to change Line 191 in NCSJPCBuffer.h to:
      class CNCSJPCBuffer& operator=( const class CNCSJPCBuffer& src );

to change Line 101 in NCSJPCMarker.h to:
      void operator=( const class CNCSJPCMarker& src );

to change Line84 in NCSJPCPLTMarker.h to:
      void operator=( const class CNCSJPCPLTMarker& src );

These changes allowed the ecw sdk toolkit to compile  and the native
compiled gdal with the ecw libraries seems to be merrily chugging away as I
type, generating  ecw files that no longer slay the ArcGIS 9.1 client.
One of these days, I'm going to have to learn C.

Sorry for this digression from mainline gdal development.

Doug

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov

The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of Interior.
I left my signature file in /dev/null

             Frank Warmerdam
             <warmerdam at pobox.
             Sent by:                  Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov
             gdal-dev-bounces@                                          cc
             lists.maptools.or         gdal-dev at lists.maptools.org
             g                                                     Subject
                                       Re: [Gdal-dev] Copying over
                                       ProjectionRef as Subset
             01/24/2007 06:54
             PM

Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov wrote:
> Hi folks,
>       Anyone having any luck compiling the ecw sdk 3.3  on debian etch
> AMD64?

Doug,

I've built and been using it with reasonable success on an AMD64 X2
Ubuntu system.  I don't recall running into any build problems.

warmerdam at pobox.com