[Gdal-dev] RFC 4: Geolocation Arrays

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jan 25 20:37:56 EST 2007

Ivan Lucena wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> If I understand correctly RFC 4, you can use the Geolocation bands to
> warp the image bands when they exists in the same input file (in a
> HDF-EOS Swath for example).
>
> This is possible only because the AVHRR, Envisat, HDF and netCDF drivers
> have add to the Metadata the fields: “GEOLOCATION”, "PIXEL_OFFSET",
> "LINE_OFFSET", "PIXEL_STEP", "LINE_STEP", "X_BAND", "Y_BAND".

Ivan,

I have some good news.  Per RFC 4 you can also have X_DATASET and
Y_DATASET metadata pointing to another file for the X and Y bands.

   http://www.gdal.org/rfc4_geolocate.html

So you don't really need to reassemble things into an HDF file or
something similar.

> But I have someone here with lots of similar kind of information but in
> separated Envi file and he want to do the same process... :-)
>
> For each par of files there is one with a bunch of hyperspectral bands
> and the other with just two bands with Latitude and Longitude.
>
> The question is: If one invests time developing a python script to
> gather those bands in a HDF4 and set the appropriate metadata is
> gdalwarp going to work? I mean, the metadata will stick to the file and
> will be interpreted by gdalwarp accordantly?

Unfortunately, I also have some bad news.  The gdalwarp support for
geolocation arrays does not really work.  It is basically partially
implemented but I gave up on it because I could see how to make it work
without quite a bit more work.  So, you cannot use geolocation arrays
with gdalwarp currently.

If I could get this implemented I would finalize RFC 4 and try to get it
passed, but currently I'm stymied.