[Gdal-dev] need help compiling GDAL with HDF5 support

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jan 31 18:54:41 EST 2007

Daniel.Gillespie at noaa.gov wrote:
> Hello.  I am trying to ultimately trying to build Grass with the ability
> to readHDF5 files.  I tried to compile GDAL with HDF5 support and ran
> into problems in the compilation process.  I believe that the HDF5 build
> process was successful, because the HDF5 utilities like gif2h5 are now
> available on my system.
> Here is the configuration file:
>
> ./configure --with-hdf5=/usr/local/hdf5/hdf5-1.6.5/hdf/bin --with-php
> hdf5dataset.cpp:58:18: hdf5.h: No such file or directory

Dan,

I believe the --with-hdf5 configuration is supposed to take as an argument
the base directory of the hdf5 installation.  In your case that might
be /usr/local/hdf5/hdf5-1.6.5/hdf.  In particular, I would expect the
given directory to have a /lib subdirectory and a /include subdirectory
with the hdf5.h file in /include/hdf5.

I'd encourage you to figure out where hdf5.h is, and where the HDF5_INCLUDE
setting points in GDALmake.opt.  If they don't match you will have problems.