[Gdal-dev] converting dgn layers

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jul 3 09:51:14 EDT 2007

nishith datta wrote:
> hi all,
> I am new to this mailing list... so sorry for asking the same question
> again.
> I am working on ms4w. I wish to use the .dgn files to convert them to
> .shp files
> but I cannot see the attributes of the .dgn layers and the point , line
> and polygons
> are all gettig saved as a single layer.
> could someone help me do it.....Thanks in advance

nishith,

User defined attributes are stored in a variety of ways in DGN files,
and so there is no easy way for OGR to recognise them.  Thus there
are essentially ignored.

To split a dgn into shapefiles with distinct geometry types try
something like:

ogr2ogr -skipfailures -nlt point rot_point.shp rotterdam/46a.dgn
ogr2ogr -skipfailures -nlt linestring rot_line.shp rotterdam/46a.dgn
ogr2ogr -skipfailures -nlt polygon rot_poly.shp rotterdam/46a.dgn

You will see lots of error messages which you can ignore.