[Gdal-dev] GDAL Code Reviews - SoC and beyond

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jul 3 16:14:38 EDT 2007

Chris Howell wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> It's probably a good idea once you initiate code reviews to keep them
> occurring regularly. I would suggest on every checkin. That's what we do
> in our office and it makes a huge difference on the quality of the code
> that is produced as well as a good learning opportunity for all.

Chris,

Unfortunately, I can't imagine per-checkin code reviews being practical
on this project.  When I was head of R&D at PCI I had a hard time keeping
one formal code review happening every week or two out of a team of 20
people.  Then I held the "performance/pay review stick".  Now most of
us volunteers, so I have very little leverage.

If we had the manpower resources and the organizational command-and-control
I'd like everything to be reviewed.  But since that isn't practical, I'd
be thrilled to pull off a code review every couple of weeks over the summer
and perhaps once a month after that.

I'd add there are sometimes a lot of checkins (small fixes, etc).

On the other hand, I have found keeping an eye on the gdal-commits mailing
list useful for a very quick pass review of changes going in.  But that
process is light-years different from formal code reviews.