[Gdal-dev] s 57 writer

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jul 5 13:40:45 EDT 2007

kevser sonmez wrote:
> Hi;
> In some part of the doc (if i dont remember wrong); there is a little
> support of write for s57 data. If so; where in which release (it seems
> that the support is not at the release), I can get the support?

Kevser,

The writing code should exist in any modern GDAL/OGR but it is very
challenging to make it work in a useful fashion.  Mostly it is just
useful for writing one S-57 file to a new file (perhaps changing
attribute values or something simple like that).

I do not support S-57 writing for free, because it is just too
unpleasant and unready for prime time.

> Actually I dont need the s57 data to be written; rather create a layer
> on the fly may be sufficient enough, but it is not supported as said
> so... Or any ideas to create a layer?
>
> * Maybe just convert the s57 data to a format where the write support
> exist, but here i am not sure which conversion will be the lossless for
> the s 57?

If memory use isn't a big concern, you can load S-57 data into a
memory dataset (the "Memory" driver") and then you can modify that
freely using the normal OGR methods.  The memory driver should be
able to hold anything that OGR gets out of S-57.