[Gdal-dev] CIB/NITF metadata

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jul 12 14:46:14 EDT 2007

Martel, Christian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use the NITF driver to extract metadata from CIB NITS frame file. The
> CIB specification gives information about Horizontal accuracy (absolute
> and relative) attributes. According to RPF specification, these
> attributes should be near the end of the NITF file (not in NITF header).
> Does anyone knows if the NITF driver take care of these specific
> attributes with GetMetadata ?

Christian,

CIB uses various extension blocks and these are not generally exposed as
metadata by GDAL.  Basically, run gdalinfo on the file and if you don't
see the metadata you want, then it isn't available through GDAL.

You might want to look at NITFReadBLOCKA() in gdal/frmts/nitf/nitfimage.c
for an example of reporting specific extension block contents as metadata.
If you have the docs handy, you might find you can engineer in support
for additional items.  I'd be open to patches to this effect.