[Gdal-dev] Re: SoC project status

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jul 13 21:12:08 EDT 2007

Adam Nowacki wrote:

> http://sydney.freeearthfoundation.com/wmsdriver.pdf
>
> but I'm still adding things to it.

Adam,

As mentioned earlier, I'd like to see the design living in the GDAL Trac
Wiki.  Design review of the driver ought to take place on gdal-dev.

I think it would make sense to use distinct driver implementations for
the tile based datasources (TMS, Worldwind, etc) and WMS.  For the WMS
driver it makes sense to override IRasterIO() and fetch the exact
requested region at the requested resolution.

But for fixed tile based data sources, I think you should just implement
the IReadBlock() interface and leave it up to the normal GDAL blocking
mechanism to handle mosaicing, etc.

As mentioned earlier, I don't think the background thread/curl/adviseread
stuff should be done in the first pass.  So please plan initially
on a single threaded approach with that as an optional development
once the basics are all working.

Lastly, I try not to use std::string in GDAL, but instead to use CPLString
which is derived from std::string.

I quite excited about supporting so many different datasources - it hadn't
really sunk in with me that you were going to do more than just WMS!