[Gdal-dev] Proposed Feature: Consumption of URL-based Spatial References

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Tue Jul 24 07:04:19 EDT 2007

Yes, this is a good idea. I am working with historical maps with their
own projections (e.g. central meridian in Paris), and a central
repository for those definitions would be very welcome. One wish: it
would be nice to be able to name the projections, e.g. "Cassini" for the
18th century French projection. Did you know BTW that our definition of
the meter as 1/40000 of the globe circumference comes from work done for
creating that projection?

Jan

Dr. J. Hartmann
Department of Geography