[Gdal-dev] Can GDAL GDALDataset return compressed image data

Lucena, Ivan ivan.lucena at pmldnet.com
Fri Jun 8 20:01:13 EDT 2007

Alison,

Anyone, Correct me If I am wrong but I don't think that in the GDAL API
there is a function that delivers the haw compressed data block in a
buffer. But if you look at that piece of code:

http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/browser/trunk/gdal/frmts/nitf/nitfdataset.cpp#L908

That is where the NITF JPEG buffer is passed to the GDAL JPEG driver to
be decoded. Then, take a look at the code at:

http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/browser/trunk/gdal/frmts/jpeg/jpgdataset.cpp#L1099

And line 1274 where generic JPEG tables are loaded to make it look like
a JFIF file so that the libjpeg can decode it.

Regards,

Ivan