[Gdal-dev] put X marks the spot on weather .JPG

jidanni at jidanni.org jidanni at jidanni.org
Sun Jun 10 21:03:51 EDT 2007

I'm curious about these two images,

for DIR in s1q s3q
do echo http://www.cwb.gov.tw/V5/observe/satellite/Data/${DIR?}/$DIR-`date +%Y-%m-%d-%H`.jpg
done #(local time) (wget --user-agent=something_else needed)

I contacted CWB.GOV.TW saying that .JPG seems rather wasteful for
these images. They responded that that is not necessarily true.

But aren't such satellite images originally in an more .PNG or .GIF
like format, and them turning them into .JPGs is like blunder #1 for
them, where they merely could convert the .PNG into a more slim
version for dissemination to so many Taiwan households that surely are
browsing them?

Or maybe they do it on purpose to degrade the no-cost version?

Anyway, one could easily make an image with half the bytes that looks
the same, at least it seems here on my terminal.

What I was trying to do actually was to put an X marks the spot
for my http:///jidanni.org/location/coordinates_en.html onto the
image. So I suppose I should make a mapserver .map file incorporating
this raster .JPG without any accompanying worldfile or anything, by
doing [what?] to nail down its coordinates and projection into
mapserver... and is there something automatic I can use that grasps
the white latitude and longitude lines and tells me it is actually
"tmerc" or something, and all I have to do is give a few hints?

Or should I use Imagemagick and just give a pixel address for a text "X"?