[Gdal-dev] Assertion in .tab driver

Daniel daniel112b at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 04:48:16 EDT 2007

If he got a crash it could very well  be the same problem since
isspace expects input that can be represented as an unsigned char or
EOF.

Looking at Microsofts documentation for isspace at:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/y13z34da(VS.80).aspx

"When used with a debug CRT library, isspace will display a CRT assert
if passed a parameter that is not EOF or in the range of 0 through
0xFF. When used with a non-debug CRT library, isspace will use the
parameter as an index into an array, with undefined results if the
parameter is not EOF or in the range of 0 through 0xFF."

So this could very well cause a crash. I don't think that the correct
solution is to use iswspace since the rest of the code can't handle
wide chars anyway.

Some locales might even have characters >127 that should be treated as
whitespace and changing to use iswspace won't fix that.

This seems to be quite a common problem, see "C Language Gotchas"
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2001/02/cfu.html#ctypechar

I did a quick search for isspace in the GDAL source and there seems to
be some more places where isspace is passed a char instead of an
unsigned char.

Regards,
  Daniel Bäck